The Technology Innovation Hub (TIH) at IIT Jodhpur in collaboration with iHub Drishti Foundation, is starting this new part-time online MTech program with campus immersions for working professionals in Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) for the semester commencing 2022-23. Registration for application to the course is open till 17th June 2022. Candidates can apply through this link: https://mtecharvr.ihub-drishti.ai/.
The main objectives of the program are:
- To produce competent engineers who can design and develop AR and VR applications,
- To impart in-depth knowledge, and analytical and experimental research skills to solve AR and VR systems problems,
- To provide knowledge of several tools for the design and modelling of AR and VR applications and immersive experiences, and
- To develop the ability to cultivate technological solutions for addressing the growing demands of AR and VR systems.
AR and VR constitute an entirely new computing paradigm that is finding its way into applications for Healthcare, Education, Defence, Marketing, Retail, Engineering, Gaming and Entertainment, Industries and Manufacturing. Hence, there is an increasing demand for professionals who can design, implement, and evaluate VR and AR applications.
In order to meet this increasing demand for engineers with diverse backgrounds in the fields of augmented and virtual reality, and to support relevant research and development, the School of AI (Artificial Intelligence) and Data Science, IIT Jodhpur is starting this program with campus immersions for working professionals. During this period, students will be provided hands-on experience in the latest, state-of-the-art AR/VR tools available at the Institute.
At the end of the program, a student is expected to have:
- An understanding of the fundamentals related to AR/VR technologies, content creation, hardware design for AR/VR applications,
- A knowledge of working principles of Game Design, Medical Applications, AR/VR based training simulators, Navigation and tracking in AR/VR,
- Knowledge of working principles of scanning and 3D reconstruction and sensor data fusion,
- Knowledge of Image Synthesis, Rendering, and Animation,
- Developing awareness about recent trends in AR/VR systems, and
- Ability to apply the acquired knowledge for analysis and design of AR/VR systems.
Professor Santanu Chaudhury, Director, IIT Jodhpur, said, “This is possibly the first MTech program in this area, offered by an IIT in this space. The uniqueness of the program is that this has been devised and designed through collaboration of experts across IITs. The course will be taught and executed by a team of experts across the country including experts from industry.”
He further added, “Today we all talk about AR and VR and metaverse as the future of immersive technology. Every interface has to be unique and experiential – from e-commerce, learning, to controlling systems. In AR & VR, the most critical and enabling technology is Artificial Intelligence (AI). The program is a unique combination of skill sets which will enable people to develop intelligent experiential systems that encompass all areas of human endeavours from entertainment to scientific discovery.”