The Jharkhand government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission–Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination, one of the major demands of protesting students. It has also decided to cancel all examinations conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) and annul the results published by the agency.
The decisions were announced following a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren in Ranchi on August 17. Announcing the measures, Soren said an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would recommend steps to strengthen and streamline the recruitment examination process.
Soren said the government was concerned about the ongoing agitation and had already enacted the Jharkhand Competitive Examination Prevention and Redressal of Unfair Means in Recruitment Act, which would be implemented strictly.
The announcement came as six protesters continued their hunger strike and a government panel prepared for another round of talks with the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has been spearheading the agitation since July 25.
Following the government’s decision, protesting students said they would decide whether to continue or call off the agitation. Students were seen celebrating and waving the Tricolour after the announcement, according to PTI.
Student leader Devendra Mahto, who had been on hunger strike for 16 days over alleged examination irregularities, ended his fast following the government’s announcement, expressing hope that the protest would most likely be called off. Activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mahto during a video call and described the government’s decision as a “victory for everyone”.
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination, however, triggered a counter-protest by candidates who had cleared the examination and were among those selected for government jobs.
A group of successful candidates gathered outside the state Secretariat and appealed to Soren not to cancel the examination, claiming that the decision could leave around 2,000 people without jobs.
Meanwhile, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) continued raids to apprehend those allegedly involved in the examination irregularities.










